Session 2: Learn about lagers from acclaimed beer master, Dr. Charlie Bamforth
Join legendary beer brewing master and scientist Dr. Charles Bamforth, Ph.D., at CIA at Copia as he takes you on a journey to discover the rich diversity of beer! During the second session of this four-part series, Dr. Bamforth will uncover the secrets of lager by showcasing a variety of styles, including pilsner, marzen, helles, bock, dunkel, rauchbier, schwarzbier, and steam beer. Samples included!
About Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.
A legend in the world of fermented beverages, Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D. is Distinguished Professor of Malting and Brewing Sciences at the University of California, Davis, and honorary professor at the School of Biosciences at the University of Nottingham, England. A member of the brewing industry since 1978, he is immediate past president of the Institute of Brewing and Distilling, and former editor-in-chief of the Journal of the American Society of Brewing Chemists where he resided for 18 years.
Selected Awards and Honors:
- Award of Distinction, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, UC Davis, 2018
- Horace Brown Medal, Institute of Brewing and Distilling, 2018
- Award of Honor, Master Brewers Association, 2018
- Brewers Association Recognition Award, 2018
- UC Davis Foundation Lifetime Faculty Stewardship Award, 2016
- Honorary D.Sc, Heriot-Watt University, 2015
- Outstanding Service Award, UC Davis Extension 2013
- Award of Distinction, American Society of Brewing Chemists, 2011
- Cambridge Prize, Institute of Brewing, 1984
Can’t make it to this class? Sign up for the next one!
October 19, 2018
All About Beer with Dr. Charlie Bamforth
January 18, 2019
All About Beer: Exploring Ales with Dr. Charlie Bamforth
February 15, 2019
All About Beer: Discover German & Belgian Ales with Dr. Charlie Bamforth